Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can the officer make me unlock my trunk during a stop?

I was pulled over on the highway, and during the stop the officer asked to look in my trunk. I told him that it was locked. I was sure that he couldn't make me open the trunk without a warrant. But he made me open it anyway (I have automatic locks). He found about an 1/8 of weed in a bag in my trunk and the DA is trying to get me for trafficking. Can I fight it?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is possibly. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/13/2013
    Robert J. Shane | Shane Law Office
    900 IDS Center, 80 South 8th Street
    Minneapolis, MN 55402
    (612) 339-1024
    Yes there had to be some suspicion that you were transporting a controlled substance before he can even ask you to open the trunk. Also it sounds like you were under duress and the consent was not voluntary.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 1/10/2013
    Nathaniel Shafer | Natty Shafer Law
    717 South 300 West, Suite B
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101
    (801) 450-2584
    Yes, you can probably fight it. Unless the contents of your trunk was somehow related to the traffic stop, you can refuse to open your trunk. However, the officer may claim that you "consented" to open your trunk and he merely asked for permission. Hopefully, the traffic stop is recorded on a police dash cam.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 1/10/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Sure you can fight it. Do you have an attorney, because I am sure you don't know the law.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/9/2013
    Randy W. Ferguson | Ferguson & Ferguson
    303 Williams Avenue SW Ste 321
    Huntsville, AL 35801
    (256) 534-3435
    Yes. Hire an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.