Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can my roommate, name not on the lease, give the police permission to enter my home?

I was out shopping when I received a call from the police stating that I was to immediately come into the police station for questioning. I didn't know it at the time, but an old girlfriend had tipped off the police that I was a marijuana user, and that I kept an amount, never over an one ounce, in the confines of my home, along with other glass pipes, a scale, etc. My roommate answered the door and being as easily overwhelmed as she is, let them in without a search warrant and they in turn found everything. Due to there being a scale, and roughly one ounce of weed, the police want to charge me with Intent to distribute, however, that's not the case at all. I buy one time, in bulk, every 2-3 months, for personal use, due to panic attacks. The scale is for measuring out the amounts to last the proper time. I'm not a medical card holder or legally registered to smoke marijuana. I have one paraphernalia charge and that's it. Can the police legally enter and search my home without my (the owners) consent?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If the roommate did not have control over the area where the stuff was kept, then he can't allow the search. This question depends on the details.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/18/2013
    Eric J. Bell | Law Offices of Eric J. Bell
    180 N LaSalle St, Ste 1821
    Chicago, IL 60601
    (312) 377-8416
    You have some good issues here that may work out for your benefit. You should hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer in your area and fight the case.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/17/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Probably not, but he would have to persuade a judge that the police did not have probable cause. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/15/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is that if she lives there, she has the right to grant consent. The question is whether she can consent to a search of your individual private area of the residence. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/15/2013
    Carlos H. Davalos | The Law Office of Carlos H. Davalos
    1608 N. 16th Ave.
    Melrose Park, IL 60160
    (773) 312-0234
    Perhaps, under apparent authority grounds.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.