Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can my lady drop the assault charges against me?

If my lady drops her charges against me for domestic assault, can I get off with no time or fines? Does she just have to call the police and say she's dropping them?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Once the police are called, the prosecutor controls the case, not your lady.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/10/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    She has no ability to drop charges, although she can contact the prosecutor and let her wishes known and she can work with your lawyer to try to achieve a dismissal.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/6/2013
    Donald L. Blaszka, Jr. | Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    23 Birch Street
    Derry, NH 03038
    (603) 434-4125
    In NH, people don't "press charges" against other people. "Your lady" cannot simply call the police an tell them that she is dropping them. In NH, the police investigate an incident and if they determine that someone allegedly committed a crime, they will arrest that person even if the other person "does not want to press charges." It is not up to your wife or girlfriend. The prosecutor controls how the prosecution of the case, not her. You should retain an experienced NH criminal defense attorney to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: New Hampshire - Replied: 1/6/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    It is up to the prosecutor to drop the charges.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/5/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    Once charges are filed and the suspect arrested only the prosecutor, with approval from the Court can drop the charges.? The criminal offense is not against the person who complains, it is against the peace and dignity of the state or city where the offense occurred.? Your lady could be compelled to testify against you unless she is your wife.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/5/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.