Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can my ex-girlfriend file a restraining order on my current girlfriend for my child?

My ex is pregnant with my child. She is threatening to file a restraining order on my current girlfriend even though she has done nothing wrong. She simply just doesn't want my girlfriend around our child. Can she do that?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    She can file a TPO against our current GF.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 6/5/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    No. In order to file a restraining order, your ex would need grounds for the issuance of the restraining order, such as threats being made by your new girlfriend, etc. If you wish to be in your child's life, you may want to seek the advice of an experienced family law/paternity attorney so that your rights as a father are covered.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Can she file? Yes. That does not mean she gets the order. Why don't you be proactive and file a paternity suit as the father and get orders , or attempt to, respecting visitation.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    While she can file a petition, she would have to prove that there is a pattern of threats over a period of time and that she is fearful.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Laurie Schmidt | Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C.
    Denver, CO 80203
    (303) 747-4686
    Your ex-girlfriend can go to court and ask for the order, but in order for it to be granted, there would have to be a reason or cause. Your current girlfriend would have the opportunity to show the judge why it should not be granted an ask for sanctions (costs and time) against your ex for bring a bogus request to the court - assuming there is no basis for the order.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 6/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.