Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I sue someone for assaulting me?

The guy who attacked me was caught and arrested but if he is convicted, I don't get anything from that, right? Do I need to sue him separately? How does that work?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    Assault is a criminal charge and can also be a civil matter. You ight receive restitution in the criminal case or you might get a judgment in a civil action but not both. You may first need to consider whether the party you seek to sue has sufficient assets to make it worth your time.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/21/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    You can sue him but the question is whether he has any money that you will be able to collect, is it worth the costs involved including filing fee, service fee, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/19/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    If you were injured as a result of the attack, he may be ordered to pay restitution to you. Aside from that, for any of your other damages, you will need to sue him in civil court. Remember though, if he has no money or property and is judgment proof, you may not be able to collect anything, even if you win.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/18/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You go to a lawyer and file a civil suit against the person.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/18/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Sure you can, but you better be prepared to cough up a couple hundred dollars per hour in legal fees that your lawyer will surely need from you to sue.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.