Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I represent myself in DUI court?

How would I go about doing that? I don't think I can afford a lawyer because I heard they run around $5,000 and sometimes more. I just need to show that I wasn't drunk and that the cop arrested me because I am dating his ex girlfriend. There was no breathalyzer test or blood test so I think it's an open and shut case. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Eric J. Bell | Law Offices of Eric J. Bell
    180 N LaSalle St, Ste 1821
    Chicago, IL 60601
    (312) 377-8416
    A defendant who represents himself has a fool for a client. Don't be a fool - a DUI conviction can have lifelong consequences. Hire an experienced DUI lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 3/29/2013
    Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
    1440 Broadway, Ste. 902
    Oakland, CA 94612
    (510) 645-0027
    If this is an open and shut case, why are you looking for help? A DUI lawyer brings a tremendous amount of skill and dedication to helping people in your situation, and may not cost as much as you think. The fee is commiserate with the level of experience and the results you are expecting. If the facts of your case are as described, you didn't provide a sample of your blood or breath AND you aren't being charged with a refusal then you should expect a good outcome. If, on the other hand, you refused to provide a chemical test AND you are dating the arresting officer's ex-girlfriend and he's not pleased, you can expect things to go poorly. A quality DUI defense attorney can likely help you with this situation.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/27/2013
    Rankin Johnson IV | Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    The Pennoyer Building 714 SW 20th Place
    Portland, OR 97205
    (503) 307-9560
    DO NOT REPRESENT YOURSELF. A good DUII lawyer could easily cost more than $5,000. But if you can't afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you. Do not say that you can handle it yourself; you can't, and you should ask for a lawyer at every opportunity. Trials are harder than you think, and if you do it yourself you will be sorry.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon - Replied: 3/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes you can represent yourself.? It is legal.? It is also legal for you to take out your own appendix with a Swiss Army Knife and no anesthetic. Both are equally painless and foolproof.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/26/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    If you do not know the answer to your first 2 questions, then you should not be representing yourself. If you cannot afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4 5
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.