Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I press charges against my son for having drug paraphernalia?

My son doesn't think that doing drugs is a big deal and refuses to stop. He's been smoking something that isn't pot. Not entirely sure what it is. My husband and I have tried to ground him, take his car privileges away from him, etc. He just turned 18. He continues to disrespect our home by leaving his smoking pipe out on his dresser and we have other children who see it. We tell him that one day he is going to get busted, but he doesn't seem to care. I'm honestly at a point now where I'm considering calling the police on him because he won't listen to us.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    Do not call he police, that will mean legal fees, a criminal record, and you will have him resent you bitterly for life. Bring him to a good criminal lawyer to tell him the consequences of getting arrested or using drugs. That is the best way to teach him about consequences. He should also know how to handle an arrest situation and why he should ask for a lawyer, remain silent, and call his parents. This will prevent a confession that will hurt his case. He may be using fake pot or "bath salts" and a lawyer can tell him how dangerous it is. No one can keep their children from destructive and foolish behavior like DWI, statutory rape, drinking, smoking cigarettes, and dealing in narcotics, they can just educate them, punish them, withhold privileges, and hope they eventually get he message.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/18/2013
    Michael E. Dailey | Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    922 Oak Street
    Kansas City, MO 64106
    (816) 221-7008
    He is 18. Let him get his own place. If he lives under your roof, he lives under your rules. End of story.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    I would just kick him out of the house and let him live on his own and pay his own bills if he does not stop smoking the stuff.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Robert Scott | Law office of Robert D. Scott
    PO Box 247
    Mount Rainier, MD 20712
    (301) 864-8611
    Criminal conduct should be reported to the police.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Yes, you can. But remember that, depending on the amount and type of drugs, he could be charged with a felony and, if he is convicted, could spend many years in prison.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.