Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I move to a different state if I am on probation?

I've been on probation for a while now and I need to move to a different state for work. How is this going to play out? Am I even able to move if I'm on probation?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    The probation officer and judge could transfer your probation but it is very rarely granted. You should retain a lawyer to ask the probation officer and his supervisor first before you go to court as it will require their recommendation in most cases.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    46 Lovejoy Rd
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 807-6512
    You may need permission from the court.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/27/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    There are strict requirements in order to move from the State where you are on probation. Normally, the probation must be transferred from one state to the other and the state where you are moving must agree to accept you. Sometimes, if the end of probation is near, the court will consider converting the formal probation to informal probation where there are no reporting requirements and you would be free to move.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You have to ask your probation agent and the court for permission. They will probably give the permission.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    You dont say what you are on probation for or what the terms of your probation are. You best talk with your PO.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/25/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.