Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I legally make a citizens arrest or is arresting people only for police?

It was about 9am, and I was getting my morning coffee down at the little gas station mart I go to every morning before work. I was about to walk up to the register, routine like any other day, when a younger kid walked in, wearing a very large black hooded sweater and black jeans. He was doing his best not to show his face as he walked back towards the alcohol freezers. I thought this was odd as it was rather warm out that morning. The next thing I recall there is a large commotion and the young man was trying to run out the door, beer cases in hand. In natural instinct, I just sorta jumped at him, knocking him to the ground. I held him there and told the man behind the counter to call the police, which he had already done. I told the man in black that he was being held on citizens arrest (I had seen it in a show one time). Being that this is a small town, the police were there almost instantly.The police detained the young man and I filled out a police report. Before the man in black was taken out of the court, he exclaimed he would be pressing charges against me for "attacking and detaining him". Can I legally make a citizens arrest or was I wrong?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    You can legally make a citizen's arrest in the presence of a police officer as an alternative to his merely issuing a citation as an officer has to witness a misdemeanor committed in his presence to arrest. If you do it on your own you could be subject to civil liability although if he has truly committed a crime I doubt you will get in trouble as the police will not care and the criminal likely will not find a lawyer to sue you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/26/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    From what you stated, you did nothing wrong. I doubt that the police entertain a request by him to file charges or will allow him to press charges against you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/24/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    A citizen's arrest is exactly what you described.? If he committed a crime and you stopped him he can only sue if there was excessive force, like if you shot him get ting away.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/23/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.