Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I go to jail for getting busted for pot?

I got busted for less than 5 grams of pot on a traffic stop. Will I go to jail or can it just be a fine or community service or something?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Well if this is your first time then maybe a deal can be worked out so that you end up with no record. This is huge many employers and professions do not want druggies.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Darrell B. Reynolds | Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C.
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Suite D
    Decatur, GA 30033
    (404) 636-6616
    Possession of marijuana is a crime that carry with it the possissibility of jail time.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    The ultimate outcome depends on the jurisdiction you're in. In theory, you face up to one year in jail for marijuana possession and 93 days in jail for marijuana use. Almost all first offenders are given probation, usually from six months to a year and sometime reporting and sometimes non-reporting depending again on the jurisdiction and judge. You face fines, costs, and probation fees, but most severely you face a suspension of your driver's license. That is mandatory and in the statute regardless of whether you were driving at the time or not. You may be eligible for 7411, or a delayed sentence that could not only keep the matter off your public record but receive no driving penalties as well.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/11/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Other than the maximum indicated in your charge papers, it's anybody's guess at this point what your sentence might be. Sentencing depends on whether you have been found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the courts eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 3/11/2013
    Randy W. Ferguson | Ferguson & Ferguson
    303 Williams Avenue SW Ste 321
    Huntsville, AL 35801
    (256) 534-3435
    Depends on your record. You could get probation or jail. Hire an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 3/11/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.