Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I get a new attorney if my current attorney wants me to plead?

I've been given a public defender for charges of intent to distribute a controlled substance. He says I don't have a good case and should accept a plea to get it over with quicker. I think that's dumb. Some of their evidence isn't even that strong. Can I request a different PD?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should not use a public defender, but if you are indigent, and most criminals are you are stuck. You should get a second opinion from a lawyer, many will give you a free consultation over thephone if you do not tell them you can't afford to pay them in which case they will not waste their tome getting the information necessary to determine if you can win a suppression hearing or a trial. You are not in the position to have any clue whether you have a case case that can be won or what the odds are and should not even try to make such an assessment until you get out of law school and have practiced criminal law for a decade or two. The prison s are full of defendants who did not listen to their lawyer and went to trial because they did not want a felony or jail or a drug program. Maybe you are right but you should not try to pull own teeth or remove your own appendix.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    46 Lovejoy Rd
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 807-6512
    You could try
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/27/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    You are not allowed to pick and choose your public defender. If you do not agree with your public defender you should consider hiring an attorney to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes and then the judge has to decide if you can have one. The present one has to go to trial if you insist.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    If that is the only reason, no, if court appointed. May want you to plead as that is your best option.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.