Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I get in trouble if my roommate gets busted for pot while driving my car?

My roommate is an idiot. He got pulled over for speeding and the cop smelled marijuana so he asked him to get out of the car and they searched it. The found enough pot and charged with with possession. Because he was driving my car, is there any way I can get in trouble? The pot is not mine and as far as I know he told the cop it was his.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    Probably not since they didn't catch you in the vehicle.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/21/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You should not be in trouble. He admitted that it was him and you wee not in the car.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/17/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Yes, you might be charged, and who knows what your roommate might say.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Under those circumstances, it is not likely. It is important not to allow someone to use your vehicle. If someone had a vast amount of drugs, and other items pointing to selling, your car would be confiscated.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    It's possible, although not necessarily probable. Since the pot was found in your car, the police can charge you with constructive possession. If you receive anything from the court or the police, I suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.