Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I get convicted of a possession of alcohol charge for a minor if I wasn’t drinking?

I was in the same room as a lotta people who were drinking. I just wanna know what does the charge possession of alcohol really mean? Do I have to be drinking it or can I just be close to it? What if I'm holding it but still not drinking it? Where does the line get drawn?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    It means what is sounds like. Minor in possession of alcohol. NOT minor drinking alcohol. NOT minor drunk on alcohol. If you are holding it, you are in possession. IF you are at a drinking party, then you are in possession.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 4/5/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If you possess it. (that is drinking it or holding, carrying it having it in your glass in front of you, having it in your backpack, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/5/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Possession means just what it says, POSSESSION, having the liquor with you.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/5/2013
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    Hi there. You do not need to be drinking to be in possession. If are either holding it or have the ability to pour yourself a drink, that may be sufficient. The question is whether in the totality of the circumstances it is fair to find that you were in possession. If you merely attended a party where alcohol was consumed, that might not be enough. But if you helped organize the party and looked the other way when your friends drank, that might be sufficient. The detailed facts are what matters here. If have been charged with possession, it is important to consult with criminal defense counsel. The last thing you need is a record showing that you were convicted of a crime-and this could happen because in New York beginning at age 16 people can be prosecuted as adults. Get a lawyer, and next time be more careful to avoid putting yourself in situations where you could be deemed to possess alcohol.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/5/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Possession doesn't require consumption. Instead, it requires proof that a person individually, jointly, or constructively exercised dominion and control over something. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/5/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.