Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I expunge a misdemeanor after 10 years?

A little over 10 years ago, I got in a stupid argument with my boyfriend and hit him in the face. I got charged with assault but it's been such a long time, I haven't spoken to him or seen him in years. Can I get this expunged? People don't look too kindly on me when they see that I got an assault charge on my record.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should not have been charged with assault if you only slapped him. Even then the plea should have been to a violation or an ACD dismissal for a first offense unless you are in a small town and did not have a good lawyer. New York only offers a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities, not expungment. You could still start your own business or do a lot of jobs if it is a misdemeanor, you could even become a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/4/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If that is the only thing on your record and it is in Michigan then the answer is yes.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Yes, you should be able to by filing documents with the court. Generally, if crime free since, your chance is good.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/25/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    At present, there is no expungement in the State of Alabama.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/23/2013
    8040 ALLEN ROAD
    ALLEN PARK, MI 48101
    (313) 295-1280
    Yes in Michigan providing you haven no other convictions
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.