Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I be convicted of breaking for trying to retrieve my things following a break up?

My girlfriend and I of like three and a half years had a nasty break up. Found out she was sleeping with a friend of mine. She's essentially gone into hiding since I found out, but I have a ton of stuff at her place. We've essentially lived at each others places for years. We both have keys to each others places. While she was at work, I went to her place and got all of my stuff. She's claiming that I took some of her stuff too, which is false. Now I'm being charged with breaking and entering.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You still had a key and were not going to steal. That is a defense to the charges. Get a lawyer and fight the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/31/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Since you broke up, going to her place is an illegal act unless your name is on the apartment lease or deed if a home. You needed to have permission. The possession of the key does not give you authorization. Hopefully your attorney can plea the charge down or provide a strong defense.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/31/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    A person may not do what ever is necessary or what ever he or she pleases in order to recover property. If someone is holding your property illegally, then the proper thing to do is file a replevin action in civil court, get a court order, and have police assist in enforcing it.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/29/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/28/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Breaking and entering is not the problem, the problem is her accusation of theft.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/28/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.