Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I be charged with possession of marijuana if it is legal in my state and I had the proper paperwork?

I am a medical marijuana user, using marijuana to aid my fight against cancer. Marijuana was made legal in my state, and I have the proper paperwork, allowing my right to use marijuana. The other day however, I was on my front porch chair, using my medicine, when a passing police officer stopped his car outside my house. The officer had seen my smoking device and stopped. I showed him my medical card, yet he still ticketed me for possession of marijuana. I had roughly one ounce of marijuana as I had just picked up my medicine the day before.

    David Harrison | Miller & Harrison, LLC
    2305 Broadway
    Boulder, CO 80304
    (303) 449-2830
    If you are over 21 and have under 1 ounce of marijuana and especially if you have a medical marijuana card you should not be charged with possessing marijuana in Colorado.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/9/2013
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    You either need to contact an attorney who can contact the DA before your court appearance or you have to come to court and explain you have a medical mj card. If they do not dismiss at that time you will need an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/6/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    I am not sure if you were in your home state when the officer stopped you. If not then it may be illegal. You need a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Ernest Krause | Attorney at Law
    6805 Flamingo Way
    Sacramento, CA 95828
    (916) 422-6006
    That's a nuisance. Call the DA.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Can I be charged? You already were, and are going to court on those charges. CA has an actual official medical marijuana card issued upon doctor?s certification of medical need. Local dispensaries will sell you a card, which is not CA official, but both are frequently [but not always] accepted by local police to avoid an arrest for small possession. Neither is honored by the feds. If you were only ticketed for an infraction, you can try in court to convince the DA and judge to honor the card and drop the charges, or reduce the fine. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total Criminal Defense is not a law firm. Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total Criminal Defense does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgment as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Total Criminal Defense may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total Criminal Defense is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total Criminal Defense is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here