Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I be charged as an accomplice?

My husband had a really bad theft problem when he was younger. As far as I know, he's gotten in control of that aspect of his life during our marriage. This last weekend, however, I came home and there were a few new "luxuries" in our home. He had come home with a new TV and surround sound. I was really skeptical, seeing as though we don't really have the money for that stuff. He claimed he got a great deal on it. The police came to the house and I'm hoping that I can't get in trouble as an accomplice for having stolen items in our home.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    They say, "Once a thief, always a thief". You should have asked about 20 questions about where he bought the stuff, how he paid for it, if he got a receipt, etc. You are an accomplice as you are probably in possession of stolen goods. If you "knew or should have known" the property was stolen (and you do) then you are guilty as he is as an accomplice. If you want to ilve with a thief, burglar, or person who buys stolen merchandise that is your business, but eventually you will pay for that decision. You need to tell him that you are not a criminal and you do not want to live with and be married to a criminal and you are not going to go to jail for his bad decisions.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/18/2013
    Michael E. Dailey | Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    922 Oak Street
    Kansas City, MO 64106
    (816) 221-7008
    You might have a problem here. Better talk to a lawyer just for you to see if you are exposed to charges for possessing stolen property or complicity in the theft.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If you know the items are stolen and still have them there then maybe.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Robert Scott | Law office of Robert D. Scott
    PO Box 247
    Mount Rainier, MD 20712
    (301) 864-8611
    You can only be an accomplice if you assisted, aided or abetted your husband in the commission of the offense.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 2/7/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is possibly, although the police would have to prove that your knew about the theft and acquiesced to it. There is also the possibility of being charged with receiving stolen property. I suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.