Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I be arrested for threatening my son’s employer for not paying him?

I recently had to confront my 17 year old son's employer. He has not been paying my son so I wanted to let him know that it wasn't legal. Well of course it didn't go well. In the end I said, "you would be lucky if your head wasn't bashed in". Well now I'm freaking out because I don't want to go to jail. I know it was a stupid thing to say, but what's done is done. Helpful advice would be appreciated.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Unfortunately, you can be charged with making a "terrorist threat" which is California is usually charged as a felony with a potential jail sentence of 1 to 3 years. If you are contacted by the police, I suggest that you hire an attorney before making any statements to the police. If the police do not contact you, consider yourself lucky and have your son make a complaint with the EEOC/Labor Commission for his unpaid wages.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    That was a stupid thing to say, but I doubt that it could be considered a verbal assault on the employer. A better thing to do would be t say you were taking the matter to your State's Department of Labor, and filing a formal complaint with that agency. At most, you could be charged with assault, but more likely, with disorderly conduct, a lesser offense, but nevertheless, a criminal charge. If you are charged, contact an attorney to represent you, so that you do not go to jail, if you have a prior criminal record, or to get a court diversion program, if you have a completely clean record. The diversion program can make the charge expungeable, once you successfully complete the program. I very seriously doubt ANY jail time would be imposed, but in the future, watch what you say, watch your temper.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Would not say more. especially if confronted by cops. HAve son report falure to pay to authorities.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/3/2013
    Satveer S. Chaudhary | Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC
    5010 Flour Exchange Building
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
    (612) 206-3721
    Thanks for writing. Yes you can potentially be arrested if the police feel your conduct was assaultive or disorderly. However, if you have not yet been arrested, and IF you were to be charged, you would receive a citation in the mail. If you've not received anything within a couple months then you're probably not going to be charged with anything. As an aside, may I recommend an employment attorney if your son has not been paid? The consequences on a business for a wage violation are much worse, in my opinion, than a bashed head. Many employment attorneys work on contingency for this reason.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 6/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.