Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I ask the court to postpone my court date a week?

The date they sent can't work for me because I'm out of town for work. Can I petition them to move it back or up a week? Do I need to hire a lawyer to do that or is there some kind of online form I can use? Thanks.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    You can try calling the judge's clerk and explaining the situation. Depending on what kind of court date it is, you will need to seek consent of the opposing counsel. The judge may make you file a motion.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Timothy J. Klisz | Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    39111 W. Six Mile Rd.
    Livonia, MI 48152
    (313) 402-0853
    They will not generally adjourn cases without a lawyer. Once you hire one, they are usually very helpful.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/14/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You have to go to the court and ask. It is easier if you have an attorney ask for you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/13/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    While you might ask, the court does not have to grant the request. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 3/13/2013
    Francis Springer | Springer Law Office, PLLC
    1042 Gluckstadt Road, Ste C
    Madison, MS 39110
    (601) 605-5004
    It depends on what kind of court date it is. If it is an arraignment date, you can usually call the court and have this postponed or enter a plea by phone. If it is a trial date, you can request a continuance. It is up to the court. And, of course, I advise everyone to hire a lawyer. There is too much at stake even with a small charge.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi - Replied: 3/13/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.