Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can I appeal my son’s case after he took a pea deal from the DA?

Can we appeal my son's case even after he took a pea deal from the DA? We feel he was not represented by his attorney properly. I would like to file for "Ineffective assistance of Counsel." Are there any other options we can use to appeal his case?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    A guilty plea can only be appealed in limited circumstances and being sorry that he took the deal isn't one of them. He would have to file a petition for writ of habeas corpus and allege the ineffectiveness you describe. Then he has to be prepared to prove that he did not receive adequate representation, that he did not intelligently take the deal and that he would not have taken the deal if he knew better at an penitentiary hearing at which his former attorney would likely testify.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 9/21/2014
    Edward J. Blum | Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    3699 Wilshire Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 479-5322
    Probably not. But you can appeal IOC.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 9/19/2014
    Phil Hache | Law Offices of Phil Hache
    15303 Ventura Blvd., 9th Floor, Suite 900
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 336-1384
    If your son entered a plea deal, an appeal is not the proper tool to unravel everything. What you or your new attorney should do is look to see if withdrawing the plea is a valid alternative for your son. If granted, it basically starts the process over. There are some time limitations within the statute that can affect whether or not this is a valid option for you, so time is of the essence if you want to consider this option. I would recommend that you call a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to discuss this matter further. Many attorneys give free initial consulations.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 9/19/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.