Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can a deputy search your house for drugs if he was called for a completely different reason?

I called 911 on a man in my house for beating his wife. He tells the deputy that I have pot under my bed. Can that deputy walk in your house and search under your bed, and when he doesn't find any keep in searching?

Does a court order need to be notarized to make it legal if it has been copied from the original. Can they even serve a court order that is a partial of the original? If a court order is sworn before a judge it seems to me tampering with the document would render it null and void.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    David B. Epstein | Epstein & Conroy
    335 Adam Street, Ste. 2703
    Brooklyn, NY 11201
    (718) 852-6763
    No, this constitutes an illegal warrant-less search. Unless he has consent to search, the MOST he can do is secure the area and go to a magistrate to request a warrant.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 11/30/2014
    Jared Austin | Austin Legal Services, PLC
    909 N. Washington Ave.
    Lansing, MI 48906
    (517) 614-1983
    It's a case-by-case determination. The police either need a warrant or a valid exception to the general search warrant requirement to search. Consult with a criminal defense lawyer and/or an attorney that specializes in 1983 cases.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 11/26/2014
    Jason Savela | Connell-Savela
    250 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 301
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 865-4545
    Cops have guns and will do things that they are not allowed. So, he can and you cannot stop him. All you can say is, I do not consent to a search. And, I want you to leave my house NOW. Be clear and firm. But, do not physically obstruct nor argue law or right with him. You might audio or video record what is happening. If the cop does violate your request, you can contest the results of the search in court. You can also sue him for a civil rights violation. If you are over 21, why does it matter if you have pot in your house? It is not contraband so there is no reason to invade your privacy.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 11/26/2014
    Charles M. Schiff | Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    925 South First Street
    St Cloud, MN 56301
    (320) 259-0699
    These are issues that need to be raised before the court. Each case is going to have somewhat different facts. Based upon your recitation of the facts, I would say that the search is questionable which means that you should raise the issue in your case in an attempt to suppress evidence.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 11/26/2014
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    Search and Seizure issues are very complicated, very fact-specific, and frequently litigated. So, without a more thorough exploration of your situation it is impossible to give you a direct answer. However, generally, once an officer is in your home with your permission, he can look in areas that are in "plain view" and seize any contraband he sees there (and, of course, arrest the person whom he believes is responsible). If the resident gives consent to search - and not just to look for someone in the home - then the officer can search the entire premises. In this situation, the officer will no doubt say that he was given consent to search, or that he was searching the entire residence for the individual, and/or that he was securing the residence "for officer safety." Cops are very shrewd, know the law and how to circumvent it. If you allow an officer into your home, or car, purse etc. for any reason, beware...all bets are off!
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 11/26/2014
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.