Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Can a child legally be arrested without a parent present?

My son and little cousin, both age 12, were arrested last night for smashing a mailbox with a bat. I understand that they destroyed a piece of property and that doing so is illegal. However, they are both minors and I am severely upset that an officer of the law would place my child in handcuffs and bring him to the police station without giving any kind of warning to the parent. Can police do this or is this a misuse of power?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    The police can do it.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 7/24/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    This is not a misuse of power. Common practice is to take the little delinquents to the station and hand them over to their parents. This could be characterized as a "station adjustment".
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 7/24/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    If your children are out vandalizing property, the police have no obligation to inform you before they are arrested and taken to Juvenile Court. The police have no obligation to find you.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 7/24/2013
    Russ Pietryga | Pietryga Law Office
    1547 Bryan Avenue
    Salt Lake City, UT 84105
    (801) 505-1586
    A child can be arrested. Sometimes the officer will call the parent but they do not have too. Of course, they are usually taken to a juvenile detention center.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 7/24/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    Gone are the days of common decency and service in law enforcement. It's all about crime and punishment. Would it have been the courteous thing to give the parents of 12 year old boys a call to let them know their child was in trouble? Yes. Are they required to do so at that time? No. Years ago this type of thing would have been handled informally; not anymore. Now, there's cuffs, cop cars, and the juvenile justice system...and oh yes, fines/fees/penalty assessments/costs. The budget must be balanced, pensions covered, benefits paid for, you know. If you feel you or your son were mistreated you have the option of filing a complaint against the officers and/or the police department. Doing so may well stop the same behavior for the next kid who gets in a little trouble from experiencing the same type of thing. At least there will be a record of your complaint. As citizens, we need to stand up for ourselves as our forefathers did, and provided for us to do the same in creating the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, to be able to speak truth to power!
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 7/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.