Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

At what age can you be tried as an adult in Michigan?

My son got in a fight at school and the school and the police are saying that he started it. He is 17. Is he going to be considered an adult in court?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Eric S. Lumberg | Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg
    7001 Orchard Lake Rd.
    West Bloomfield, MI 48322
    (248) 626-8383
    He can be charged as an adult at age 17.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Yes. It has long been the law that 17 year olds are prosecuted as adults. Your son may, however, be able to have the judge consider sentencing him under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act (HYTA) which provides conditions where a youthful offender will not receive a criminal record of conviction if the conditions imposed are completed by the accused to the satisfaction of the court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Yes 17 year old are considered of age to be charged as an adult in Michigan.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
    15324 MACK AVENUE
    (313) 640-8917
    children as young as 12 have been tried in Michigan for murder.? Fist fight is only a misdemeanor unless weapons were involved. Max penalty is 93 days, yes you can be charged as adult. but not likely
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    At the age of 17 an person is considered an adult for a crime. He would be in adult court. Be careful of making any statements to school, police, anyone. Exercise right to be silent and an attorney. There are sentencing alternatives you need to be aware of if he is facing a conviction down the road.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.