Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Am I going to be charged with domestic violence?

Neighbor is reporting they saw me hitting my son. I was slapping him for misbehaving but it wasn't that hard. Just a few smacks on his butt. They said they called the police and filed a report and I'll go to jail for it. It's none of their business and I wasn't beating my kid. This is how I choose to discipline MY OWN KID. Do I need a lawyer?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Jason Savela | Connell-Savela
    250 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 301
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 865-4545
    There is a defense that allows a parent to discipline their child if the police come, just say I want a lawyer and nothing else there is nothing you can say to the police today that you cannot say tomorrow with a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 3/12/2013
    John Shean | Shean Law
    1114 N. College Ave.
    Bloomington, IN 47404
    (812) 332-3643
    You may want to call a lawyer just to get some local advice. The Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that simple spanking is NOT child abuse.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana - Replied: 3/12/2013
    John Arechigo | Arechigo & Stokka
    360 Robert St N
    St. Paul, MN 55101
    (651) 222-6603
    You probably don't need a lawyer until and unless the police start either calling you or coming to your house. If the police try to contact you, they will most likely tell you they are simply following up on a report and want to get your side of the story. Whatever you do, do not talk to the police. Instead, politely tell them you do not have to talk to them. At this point, it's probably a good idea to consult a criminal defense attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Michael Prephan Jr. | Michael Prephan Jr.
    105 Louisiana Ave.
    Toledo, OH 43551
    (419) 874-2261
    Not until a prosecotor decides to charge you with an offense.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Maury Beaulier | Beaulier Law Office
    5775 Wayzata Blvd # 700
    Minneapolis, MN 55416
    (612) 240-8005
    First, it is possible that criminal charges could be filed. However, it is far more likely that the report will prompt an investigation by child protection. Second, the form of discipline is often scrutinized by child protection and courts. Although not all corporal punishment is considered abuse, it often is considered to cross a line when any instrument other than a hand is used or the punishment leaves a mark.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota - Replied: 3/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.