Utah State Senator Resigns Following DUI Arrest

Utah State Senator Sheldon Killpack recently resigned from the state legislature after he was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, according to the Washington Post.

Although this was his first time accused, it was not his first experience with drunken driving. Killpack’s father was killed by a drunken driver when he was a teenager. Since then he became a strong advocate against driving under the influence.

The Washington Post reported that Killpack, the former Republican Utah state Senate majority leader, devoted his six years in office to efforts against drunken driving. He hoped to stop intoxicated drivers from cruising on the roads.

As a member of the Mormon Church, Killpack was encouraged to abstain from alcohol. Under the circumstance, Killpack thought it would be best to resign.

He made the decision to resign saying, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the legislative process. In light of that, I have decided to tender my resignation as majority leader and as a Utah state senator, effective immediately.

Senate President Michael Waddups said he did not advise Killpack to resign. He said that is was a personal matter in which he would need to figure out for himself.

Waddups also added that it might be difficult for Killpack to face his conservative constituents in light of the situation.

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the evening Killpack was pulled over, he attended a boxing fundraiser for Representative Greg Hughes. No alcohol was served at the event.

The Utah Highway Patrol spotted Killpack’s vehicle driving erratically on the road several hours later.

The state trooper said he smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from the senator. He then ordered Killpack to take field tests. Killpack obliged, but refused to give a breathalyzer test.

Killpack was arrested and taken to the Salt Lake County jail at around 2:45 a.m. and was released two hours later.

The UHP was able to get a warrant for a blood test to determine the senators blood alcohol content. It could take up to two weeks to a month before the test results are in and criminal charges are issued. No court date has been set at this time.

Find an Attorney

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Twitter Updates